- Last Updated: 10 August 2016
A dangerous easy-to-exploit vulnerability called httpoxy discovered 15 years ago, reappeared again yesterday, leaving server-side website software potentially open to attackers. This security hole impacts a large number of PHP and CGI web-apps. This means that anything that runs on PHP, Apache, Go, HHVM, Python can be vulnerable. The exploit allows man-in-the-middle attacks that could compromise web servers and potentially access sensitive data or seize control of the code. Thanks to our unique in-house developed systems and some precautions taken ahead of time by our DevOps team, Proteon partners are unaffected by the return of the vulnerability.
- Last Updated: 14 July 2016
- Our knowledge base is now organized and searchable. All of our training is now just a search bar away.
- You can drag and drop images directly into the ticket editor.
- You can view all your open tickets at once by going to helpdesk.proteonsoftware.com, logging in, and clicking the big “Tickets” button.
- You can request and be granted access to view all tickets for your chapter, not just ones you submitted. Entire teams can view the same ticket list.
- Last Updated: 11 April 2016
For those Partner Chapters that have been asking about an upgrade from their Joomla 2.5 sites – the time has come!
Joomla 3.4 is the fifth standard-term support release of Joomla! 3 series. It contains some new exciting features and some significant change to existing features:
- Manage your entire website from a Smartphone.
In admin panel sidebar can be toggled and the entire back-end has been remodeled so you can manage the entire website from a Smartphone. You can now make many Joomla 3 admin screens full-width by hiding the sidebar.
- All content can be edited from the front end with Front End Module Editing
Editing modules is now faster and easier in Joomla 3.4. Front End Module editing allows you to edit modules directly on the page without using the admin dashboard. This new feature simplifies the administration of websites by making them incredibly easy to edit!
- Corporate firewalls are no longer a problem with Enhanced No CAPTCHA
With No Captcha your users can now attest they are human without having to solve a CAPTCHA. Instead with just a single click they’ll confirm they are not a robot. This can increase the number of members who register for events.
- Enhanced Security in the core.
The core code has been re-worked to provide enhanced security from code injection attacks. In the 2.5 version Proteon needed to add special plugins to provide the security necessary. With the new 3.4 version the plugins aren't necessary as it is now built into the core system. While it isn't obvious to any of the users it does make management of the site easier.
- Simplified and more Robust Media Manager
The new and improved Media Manager also supports drag and drop functionality to make the overall experience much smoother and more enjoyable.
- Enhanced version of SSO
Some chapters have reported intermittent issues with the PMI Single Sign On service (SSO). Sometimes the SSO return call doesn't get transmitted correctly due to firewall or network issues. This can cause issues with the chapter website not recognizing the member as valid. A quick browser re-start usually fixes the issue. The new SSO module is more robust and can recover from such glitches.
Summer is a great time to upgrade your website and have a fresh new look and experience when the Fall activities begin. Simply open a ticket though the Helpdesk requesting the "Joomla 3.4 upgrade" and we will be happy to get you started!
The Proteon Team
- Last Updated: 24 August 2016
The theme for the upgrade is simplicity without sacrifice. We want to keep all the functionality (and even add more) while at the same time making things much simpler and easier to use.
- New! Templates that reflect current best practices in website design principles
- New! Popup Control Panel to allow ease of administration http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/ev-front-end-admin-operations-pro
- New! Social Media Integration (https://www.joomunited.com/products/social-backlinks)
- New! Microsites for conferences http://pmigno.org/index.php/pmi-region-6-2016-meeting
- New! Mobile Application https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pmisnc.mobileapp&hl=en
- New! Version Control https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ryqc7ygfas
- New! Audit Trail / Logging. http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/logman
- New! Upgraded online forum (Kunena) http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/kunena
Improved and simplifled:
- Improved! event management system (http://joomdonation.com/joomla-extensions/events-booking-joomla-events-registration.html).
- Improved! newsletter management system (https://www.acyba.com/acymailing.html)
- Improved! system editor (https://www.joomunited.com/products/dropeditor#)
- Improved! file/document management (https://www.joomunited.com/products/dropfiles)
- Improved! image manager (https://www.joomunited.com/products/droppics)
A migration to the Proteon 3 framework upgrade is outside the typical upgrade cycle. The upgrade is wherein we build a completely new framework and then migrate all of your content and extensions onto the new framework. There is nothing shared between the old site and the new site.
The process will be a “Lift and Shift” process of two steps.
- The forklift upgrade is 1st. We will migrate your current website as-is to the new platform. This will be a pixel perfect copy of your current site. This has two benefits.
- It reduces risk by not changing anything and keeping everything known.
- The new platform is much easier to use and change.
- The Shift will happen once we’re on the new platform.
- Proteon will automatically create a new development site based on the new platform.
- This will allow us to work with you on new changes such as the website template/design and new features.
- Risk will be again reduced because we will have all the time we need to implement the changes.
Your current website will continue to operate while we migrate to the new platform. Once the new platform is ready and approved by you we will put it into production on a timeline of your choosing.
- Last Updated: 08 July 2016
What is Click Through Rate (CTR) and how does it help you figure out the success or failure of your email blast, i.e. whether your newsletters have some impact on your targeted audience or not?
When it comes to creating an excellent newsletter, you put extra effort to write catchy content, choose useful links for your audience to click and calls to action.
Now it’s time to analyze if your audience has responded to those calls to action that you included for them In the newsletter.
Here CTR provides detailed analytics of your email blast
Click through Rate:
- What It Is: The percentage of email recipients who clicked on one or more links contained in a given email.
- How to Calculate It: (Total clicks OR unique clicks ÷ Number of delivered emails) * 100
- Example: 500 total clicks ÷ 10,000 delivered emails * 100 = 5% click through rate
(Using either total clicks or unique clicks in the calculation above works, as long as you use the same approach consistently.)